How to Apply

Application documents

For counseling you we need the following documents sent to our counseling team by e-mail:

  • Application Form for Secondary Education in Germany
  • Photocopy of the student’s passport
  • Transcripts of the previous 2-3 school years (copy of the original and translation in English or German)
  • Motivation letter written by the student (in English or German)
  • Letter of reference by at least one teacher (in English or German)

After receiving the application documents our counseling team will either recommend suitable boarding schools or contact the respective boarding school(s) if the application already contains a preliminary choice of schools.

German course planning

At the same time, we will help you to plan the German course program at the Humboldt-Institut, either in Bad Schussenried or in Lindenberg.

Please note: If you do not know the student’s current level of German, the student can sit a shortened online placement test (max. 25 minutes) which helps us to determine the actual level and thus gives you an idea about the potential length of the German course program. The student has to register for the test with a valid e-mail address and gets a reply with a verification link. After finishing the test the result will be displayed for the student. The Humboldt-Institut gets an automatic message with the student’s result.

Visa requirement

In case the student requires a visa, we will send an invitation letter for the German course once we have received the registration and program confirmation. Additionally, the student will receive a provisional acceptance letter from the prospective boarding school.

Usually, the German authorities ask for a payment confirmation of the boarding school in addition to the German course payment confirmation. In that case an advanced payment is payable to the secondary school. Hence, parents should be prepared to pay the German course as well as the school fees for the first school year as a deposit in advance.

We will assist you regarding questions concerning visa or in case of difficulties in obtaining the visa.


Kathrin Heiden
Personal Assistant to the Academic Director

If you have any questions:

For further information and answers please see our FAQ.
Please contact us for your personal offer.